The Black Keys Fan Lounge Forum » Photos

misa

drunken admirer

misa

I've been fan of Dan's 1953? Gibson Les Paul Goldtop for some time now, but I just started searching for some pics of him playing the guitar. Apart from a couple of photos posted on the forum, I've had a hard time finding images through searches. What with their recent rise in popularity and the numerous guitars Dan has played out since Attack & Release era shows, I've had a hard time coming upon any pics.

Anyone want to show some love and post some Goldtop pics? I would much appreciate it.

Posted 1 year ago #

jmjohnson40

drunken admirer

jmjohnson40

Yeah, I doubt you will see Dan touring with a 53 goldtop anytime soon. I remember him playing a goldtop back in the A&R days but I'm not sure if that was a reissue. It would be a little silly to tour with one of those, even though Dan is loaded. Probably just using it in the studio these days.

Posted 1 year ago #

misa

drunken admirer

misa

@jmjohnson40 - I wasn't sure what goldtop Dan had used during the A&R tour. I saw a quote of him saying he used a '53 during the recording of El Camino and wondered if that may be it. Nevertheless, the guitar during the A&R tour has a Tune-o-matic and '53 Goldtops typically have a wraparound tailpiece, so I thought they may be different guitars too. I do remember the A&R Goldtop having a lot of crazing on the finish though, and I doubt Dan would be into heavy relicing.

Any info or photos of either guitar would be awesome.

Posted 1 year ago #

misa

drunken admirer

misa

Reposting images from the forum:

Posted 1 year ago #

Mirby 2.0

tour bus driver

MirbyGnits

Here's my favorite shot of it. It's from the Keep It Hid era. And just for the record, I want that guitar more than anything in the world. Also, I'm not sure it's a '53. I always thought it was a '56. But I don't know... you know who would know though? Dante from Hacienda. He's spent some quality time with that axe.

"When the power of Love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
Posted 1 year ago #

Mr.ssippi

roadie

Mr.ssippi

So when exactly was this guitar used Live?.. What era/tour?

Attn Crackheads: Spring is here. Time to pawn your heater!
Posted 1 year ago #

Ryannayr22

fan

User has not uploaded an avatar

Go this link it has pics of him playing it live at coachella a few years back

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=The+black+keys+coachella&f=hp

Posted 1 year ago #

misa

drunken admirer

misa

Thanks for all the pics! Keep 'em coming if anyone else has some worthwhile shots.

As far as trying to date the guitar, the only identifiers I really have to work with are the P90s, the Tune-o-matic, the tuners, and the Reflector knobs.

A quote from Vintage Guitar Info on knobs:

Bonnet knob with metal cap ("reflector" knobs): Used from mid-1960 to mid-1970s. Similar to bonnet knob but now has metal cap with "Volume" or "Tone" printed in black on the metal cap. There are two styles of this knob. First was used from mid-1960 to the end of 1961, and have a shallow post hole (as viewed from the side). The 1962 and later relector knob has a deeper post hole (the bottom of the post hole comes much closer to the metal cap). Also the reflector on these knobs can be silver or gold. Guitars with nickel or chrome hardware should have silver caps. Guitars with gold hardware should have gold caps (though often the gold does wear off).

That would place the guitar mid-60s to mid-70s assuming he didn't just swap out the knobs. With Dante making the move to Nashville and Hacienda touring heavily, it has gotten a little harder to run into him. I'll have to bring it up next time I do see him though.

Posted 1 year ago #

hudsonsaul

massive fan

User has not uploaded an avatar

In the majority of the pictures of him using this guitar, he looks to be using the bridge pickup. This normal for him?..would have thought he use the neck more, for that thicker bluesy sound.

Posted 1 year ago #

tbkmagic

roadie

tbkmagic

Les pauls are thick whichever pickup you use :p stupid baseball bats! Buy a tele!

Posted 1 year ago #

Mirby 2.0

tour bus driver

MirbyGnits

In that recent Dan's Gear video with Dan's tech, he hinted that Dan really only uses the bridge pickup on his big hollow Harmony whateverthefuck with the 3 foil pickups. Sounds like he might be a bridge pickup kind of guy.
You can eq or boost a bridge pickup to add much more lows and thickness. My DAM Red Rooster clone is great for that - it's a Rangemaster pedal but with a tone knob so you can do a treble boost, flat boost, bass boost, or anything in between. It can give any bridge pickup some serious balls.
Plus Dan's fingerstyle playing definitely helps thicken things up. When you use a pick it's a sharp attack on the strings but fingers are much softer attack.

Who knows. I'm just speculating. What I do know is that Gold Top is the cat's pajamas, and I wish I had one just like it. (speaking of wanting rockstar's guitars... someone just stole a bunch of Tom Petty's guitars a couple days ago, very uncool)

Posted 1 year ago #

tbkmagic

roadie

tbkmagic

MirbyGnits - 1 hour ago  »  What I do know is that Gold Top is the cat's pajamas, and I wish I had one just like it.

Best thing you have ever said. Not cause I like goldtops just cause a cat wearing pyjamas would be F Fucking hilarious!

Posted 1 year ago #

misa

drunken admirer

misa

I'll confirm that Dan seems to mainly use the bridge pickup on all his guitars. With the amount of amp distortion and fuzz he uses, I would think he needs a defined tone from the guitar so it doesn't become mud. Especially with his fingerstyle as Mirby mentioned.

@Mirby - Didn't you use to own an Epi '56 Goldtop? Apart from the lathered on gloss finish, I thought it was a pretty decent guitar worth keeping around and upgrading. Nevertheless, I ended up with a Gibson Studio 60's Tribute, which has me more than satisfied. The main differences being a lighter chambered body, very thin nitro finish, a shallower neck, and a little hotter and sharper output from the stock pups.

@tbkmagic - You'll be glad to know my other 2 electrics are Teles (Modded Squier Classic Vibe Teles to be exact). A CV 50s turned Esquire with double-tapped Mare and a CVC with a mini-humbucker on the neck. They are pretty fun to play and they were much better finished than lower end Fenders and even American Standards, I thought.

Posted 1 year ago #

Mirby 2.0

tour bus driver

MirbyGnits

@Misa- I did have an Epi '56 gold top with P90 pups. I put an overwound Fralin in the bridge slot. I dug it, but alas, it's not a Gibby. I'm seriously considering going for one of those 60's tribute models like yours - but how do you like the baked maple fretboard? (instead of the traditional rosewood)

Posted 1 year ago #

Mirby 2.0

tour bus driver

MirbyGnits

Mr.ssippi - 18 hours ago  » 
So when exactly was this guitar used Live?.. What era/tour?

Dante used it during the Keep It Hid tour. Dan probably did too. In fact, I seem to recall a chick from Those Darlins using it (or a very similar guitar) during their set too (they opened for Dan & The Fast 5 at the Metro in Chicago).

Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.