The Black Keys Fan Lounge Forum » Music

marshmeli

drunken admirer

marshmeli

Does anyone have a clear explanation of the different editions (i.e. colors) of the vinyl version of The Big Come Up?

I know of white, blue, purple, orange versions, but do you all know when they were released, editions of each, etc?

Just trying to wrap my head around it...

Posted 4 years ago #

hyphensprint

drunken admirer

hyphensprint

I believe they are just limited collectibles. Then you can say "Look! I have this same one in white, orange, purple, blue..." like they are shoes or skirts or something...

You just got yourself an apple strawberry sea breeze wine cooler.
http://www.opendtuning.com
Posted 4 years ago #

TheBackwardTapes

drunken admirer

TheBackwardTapes

I have the blue vinyl and it's beautiful, but is a reissue, not an original 2002 copy..
I'd want understand how to recognize an original and a reissue..

Posted 4 years ago #

Mirby 2.0

tour bus driver

MirbyGnits

Yup. there is only one version of TBCU on vinyl. It comes in many colors, but the sound and tracklist is the exact same. Only difference is color.

There was a guy on the old forum, named Peter Blomquist or something like that, he and I didn't get along so well, but he bought every single color there is. He was a collector.

(heh, I make fun of this guy for buying the same record so many times, and here I am with multiple preorders of Brothers, haha, I'm such an asshole)

"When the power of Love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
Posted 4 years ago #

hyphensprint

drunken admirer

hyphensprint

Peter is on the other forum: theblackkeysforum.com. He also started a site about TBK: theblackkeys.se which has his collected discography. He'd be a good one to ask.

Side note: I can't get my signature to change. Is there a problem with it.

Posted 4 years ago #

Mirby 2.0

tour bus driver

MirbyGnits

I don't like the alternate versions on the vinyl version of TBCU while we're on the subject.

That is, I don't like them as much as the versions on the CD. "She said, she said" is much slower/more-chill on the vinyl than it is on the cd version. Vinyl versions of Heavy Soul and Yearnin' are also not as good as the CD version, imo. At least we get "No Fun" on the record though.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about actual alternate versions of songs. Not the difference between vinyl and cd sound.

Posted 4 years ago #

TheBackwardTapes

drunken admirer

TheBackwardTapes

You're saying that doesn't exist a reissue but they're all original? But they're limited editions, right?
And what about the clear version? I knew that's rarer than the other color..

Posted 4 years ago #

YouEvil

drunken admirer

YouEvil

Interesting, I had seen some of the colored versions on ebay but never understood the difference. I thought the white one was kind of cool.

I think I remember you and Peter getting into some battles, kind of fun to read from the sidelines... He was in Sweden or something right?

"We run this shit like a Wendy's. We're open for breakfast every morning."
Posted 4 years ago #

TheBackwardTapes

drunken admirer

TheBackwardTapes

Yeah, the cd version of She said, she said and the others altrenates are better than the vinyl edition.. but I like listen both..

Posted 4 years ago #

I am Incinerator

drunken admirer

User has not uploaded an avatar

I never quite understood the reason to have different colors of the same vinyl. If more than one color is available then get the "prettiest" of the bunch.

I may have to get TBCU on vinyl when I go get my tix for the 8/9 show here.

Posted 4 years ago #

Mirby 2.0

tour bus driver

MirbyGnits

To clarify, backwardstapes - I don't know which ones were original. Definitely there were originals and then Alive records started issuing batches of 500 or 1000 in different colors along the way.

I have the clear "colored" vinyl version.

No reason to have more than one copy of a record on any given format - unless you're that Peter guy who likes to collect things.

Posted 4 years ago #

I am Incinerator

drunken admirer

I think I may have a few albums on vinyl and cd,including Brothers. I'm not a collector though, can't play vinyl in my car and I don't have an MP3 player at the moment thanks to some sticky-fingered window-breaking kids and my absent mind...

Posted 4 years ago #

marshmeli

drunken admirer

marshmeli

i can see the desire for some acquire the complete black keys catalog including all version and releases. that may be a little too extreme for me, but i can def see the desire to have the first version or limited editions of certain albums

Posted 4 years ago #

bajajeff

not diehard enough

I am probably completely wrong, but I vaguely remember that thread on the old forum. I think someone posted the original that was up for sell on ebay and I believe that it was white. Or maybe clear, but I'm going with white. I thought the colored versions were reissues, and then they also reissued the white as well. But I might be insane. I'm sure that dude Peter would know, or perhaps Kissandra? Or a little research which I am way too lazy to do right now. I'll shut up now.

Posted 4 years ago #

TheBackwardTapes

drunken admirer

TheBackwardTapes

I've noticed that some copies have the "fake worn look" and other copies have not..

Let's try to see the matrix number on our copies.. almost for sure the 1st press has a different one..
Mine (Blue edition and "worn look") has this matrix number: ALIVE0044-1 5-49964 on side A and ALIVE0044-2 5-49964 on side B.
And yours?

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.