The Black Keys Fan Lounge Forum » Music

hyphensprint

drunken admirer

hyphensprint

I haven't been active around here for a while until recently. I've been a big fan since I first was exposed to the keys. That said, after Brothers and the first time I heard Lonely Boy I had unofficially boycotted the band.

However, the other day I broke down and bought El Camino.

I must say I am pleasantly surprised.

I still don't think it sounds like The Black Keys, I still think it is overproduced, I am sick of hearing Miley Cyrus on the keyboard and/or xylophone or whatever instrument Sleigh Bells is currently using most. Mostly I am REALLY sick and tired of Brian "Danger 'Yoko Ono' Mouse" Burton with his filthy fingers all over this band.

However, it is a good album. Solid. Catchy.
Without Dangermouse's influence and the lame ass filler they use to water down their rock this could have potentially been one of my all time favorite records. Instead I'll rate it at "pretty good" I feel like they had some good songwriting going on this album.

Brothers had some good stuff but it is by far my least favorite album of theirs. It dragged and it had "Howlin' for You" on it. Seriously, they couldn't have wrote a worse song if they tried. This album is just more "solid" than Brothers too.

That's just my opinion, didn't want to bring up anything to argue about. I have avoided reading about the album on here and wasn't quite sure what the consensus reaction has been.

Sorry if that was the most backhanded praise for an album ever.

You just got yourself an apple strawberry sea breeze wine cooler.
http://www.opendtuning.com
Posted 2 years ago #

My Morning Song

fan

My Morning Song

I hear where your coming from. It is frustrating getting into a band like this that has such a wonderful back catalog, and once they get a glimpse into the "top 40" spotlight they drop their roots. Yes, you can argue that they are still a "blues" band but El Camino is the worst blues album out there. If it's true and they are hitting up the studio this summer I hope to God they get it together, I love them so much.

Posted 2 years ago #

Morgan

massive fan

Morgan

I really dislike El camino (I am a fan of their previous more blues albums).
I have laughed very loud while reading in Rock'n folk (french magazine), that they tryed to justify themself, saying that they have never been a blues band, as they said : "we have never been a blues band, Pat doesn't like blues, and we've always listen to hip hop stuff, we are fan of wu tang clan!.." ha ha ha. Come on guys, what you do best is playing fucking blues!!!!!!!!!

Posted 2 years ago #

Chris "Hokes" Dorgan

roadie

TheHokes

to people who don't like rock n roll and blues this is a rock n roll blues album, to those of us that do love rock n roll and blues this is a pop rock album... his voice sounds very hmm dunno how to put it... just not as manly as on thickfreakness an magic potion its all bit waaaaaaaaaaaa maria carey and from what someone said before it sounded the same live except on the old songs too. it's still not my favourite. i loved parts of brothers but this took the worst parts of brothers and put it to not as good rock n roll in my opinion. at least brothers had a real good flavour to it!

"When the sweats dried in, It smells like Rock n Roll"
Posted 2 years ago #

Chris "Hokes" Dorgan

roadie

TheHokes

oh and tbk were on NCIS season 9 episode 19... can't find the right feckin thread for this post though!

Posted 2 years ago #

dusty reeds

Black Keys Pimp

dusty reeds

My El Camino confession: I haven't listened to it straight through since the first listen. Very forgettable album, no hooks that really grab me. Whereas Sinister Kid has been my default ringtone since the day i got Brothers in hand. And i never get tired of that hook. Can't wait for next TBK or Dan project.

twitter @dustyreeds
Posted 2 years ago #

Mr.ssippi

roadie

Mr.ssippi

My personal El Camino confession: I just traded in my El Camino Vinyl, and Lonely Boy RSD single for store credit at my local record store.. I don't, and doubt i ever will regret the decision to do so. Kinda saddens me though. But nonetheless i will be eagerly awaiting to here what they do next.

Attn Crackheads: Spring is here. Time to pawn your heater!
Posted 2 years ago #

littleseawolf

massive fan

littleseawolf

I like El Camino, it is one that might just grow on you, if you give it a chance. And I agree I think there is some good song writing happening on the album - they have written worse - Howlin' For You as the prime example... I actually like the song, very catchy, but c'mon the chorus lyrics..

dada, dada, da
dada, dada, da
dada, dada, da
dada, dada, da

dada, dada, da
dada, dada, da
dada, dada, da
dada, dada, da

seriously you can't criticise El Camino compared to that.

Posted 2 years ago #

thatswhatshesaidshesaid

drunken admirer

User has not uploaded an avatar

My Morning Song - 12 hours ago  » 
I hear where your coming from. It is frustrating getting into a band like this that has such a wonderful back catalog, and once they get a glimpse into the "top 40" spotlight they drop their roots. Yes, you can argue that they are still a "blues" band but El Camino is the worst blues album out there. If it's true and they are hitting up the studio this summer I hope to God they get it together, I love them so much.

They would argue that they were never a "blues band" and would never claim that El Camino has anything to do with the blues, so I'm not sure what your point is.

But you know, when the ammegedon comes, and thy pile up the bodies...I will be in the cool pile and many of you will be in the "suck" pile. That's it.
Posted 2 years ago #

DeepNDirtyBlues

roadie

capricorn2972

Mr.ssippi - 7 hours ago
My personal El Camino confession: I just traded in my El Camino Vinyl, and Lonely Boy RSD single

Rut Ro Shaggy! Wesa needs to talk about dis! You'll soon see what I mean.

I want love to walk right up and bite me, grab a hold of me and fight me, leave me dying on the ground.And I want love to split my mouth wide open and cover up my ears, and never let me hear a sound. ~ Jack White, Love Interruption
Posted 2 years ago #

DeepNDirtyBlues

roadie

capricorn2972

Re: El Camino confessions.... all due respect... tired subject.

Posted 2 years ago #

busterdouglas

drunken admirer

busterdouglas

capricorn2972 - 22 minutes ago  » 
Re: El Camino confessions.... all due respect... tired subject.

Agreed. Summing up what I've read in interviews, El Camino was designed with the express purpose of creating catchy hooks that

A) Are commercially viable

B) Rock the socks off of 20 000+ crowds

In that regard it is a tremendous success, regardless of their back catalog. Sorry to all those who can't enjoy it.

BTW, I think Howlin' For You is an amazing rock pop song. Ya'll never heard of a wordless chorus?

This blood red ass don't smell so good...
Posted 2 years ago #

Mr.ssippi

roadie

Mr.ssippi

@capri 8O... Ha!

@buster.. I totally agree with you on the Howlin For You topic. I think the lyrics are a bit cheesy, but overall I heart the shit outta that tune.. And yes, I happen to love a good wordless chorus. Especially the MMJ tune Wordless Chorus...... hmph was that where you were actually going with that?

Posted 2 years ago #

Wrought Irony

big fan

Wrought Irony

buster and mrssippi i agree about it being a tremendous success as you describe it above and have to say that howlin is a personal favorite

capri i know how quickly you get bored or should i say tired

it is what it is isnt it?
Posted 2 years ago #

Danleary

drunken admirer

Danleary

Yeah what's wrong with a wordless chorus! Scat singing is awesome

Ron Paul 2012
Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.