The Black Keys Fan Lounge Forum » Music

pj9615

big fan

pj9615

I feel this album doesn't get enough love. One of their best albums. Strange Desire, The Flame, and Just a Little Heat are some of my favorites.

Posted 2 years ago #

Mirby 2.0

tour bus driver

MirbyGnits

Definitely does not get enough love.
I like Black Door and Elevator a lot. You're The One, too.

"When the power of Love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
Posted 2 years ago #

jmjohnson40

drunken admirer

jmjohnson40

Agreed! May not be their most artfully put together, but all of the tracks just pound!

Posted 2 years ago #

Mr.ssippi

roadie

Mr.ssippi

Right on!.. Great album that gets overlooked entirely too often. Just Got To Be is my favorite "album opener". Goodbye Babylon is also a personal fav. The intro riff is pretty mind blowing. First time I heard it I thought my cd was skipping

Attn Crackheads: Spring is here. Time to pawn your heater!
Posted 2 years ago #

Mirby 2.0

tour bus driver

MirbyGnits

It's the first album they did that was all original (no covers).
It's the first album they did where the vocals were noticably treated with effects.
It's also a great album for guitar players - riffs on top of riffs. Fun stuff to play.

I think Dan smoked a pound of reefer making this album haha. Just sayin. "Magic Potion" = sweet sweet ganja.

Posted 2 years ago #

metachronos

drunken admirer

metachronos

Just a little heat is like the song version of a slow, passionate fuck.

Posted 2 years ago #

Peter Blomkvist

drunken admirer

fruckin

Magic potion is pure love...

The album that's as stripped down as could be.

I love it with all my heart.

"Practice what you preach"
Posted 2 years ago #

pj9615

big fan

pj9615

Goodbye Babylon is so badass. Is Your Touch the only song they still play live off the album?

Posted 2 years ago #

Kenny Powers

massive fan

Kenny Powers

Yeah unfortunately Your Touch is the only track they play live. It's a shame because every song on Magic Potion would destroy live. To see them play Just a Little Heat is a dream of mine.

Posted 2 years ago #

Kieran-lee

drunken admirer

Kieran-lee

AAAWWWWWW Magic Potion!!!!! Dunno what else to say really

i mean the pics even mesmerised me. The last one on the right with the slight glint of sunlight shining through the door and shining through(i've never actually figured out if thats Dan Or Pats) legs making it look like its a shot from a movie, Pulp Fiction especially - i dunno why

Googled the Magic Potion album for images and it brought me to this old thread from these boards

too much education is a fart in the the dark - Charles Bukowski
Posted 2 years ago #

dusty reeds

Black Keys Pimp

dusty reeds

Magic Potion is the shit. I'll never forget finally finding the CD at a far off record store and jammin' the hell outta it all the way back to the house. Shit gives me goosebumps, so fucking powerful. Fuck it, i'm putting it on now, crankin' up the volume and pissin' off the neighbors.

twitter @dustyreeds
Posted 2 years ago #

Kieran-lee

drunken admirer

Kieran-lee

dusty reeds - 3 minutes ago  » 
Magic Potion is the shit. I'll never forget finally finding the CD at a far off record store and jammin' the hell outta it all the way back to the house. Shit gives me goosebumps, so fucking powerful. Fuck it, i'm putting it on now, crankin' up the volume and pissin' off the neighbors.

S'exactly what i did after making my post

Posted 2 years ago #

Mr.ssippi

roadie

Mr.ssippi

Yeeeeea! I did the same thing after posting in this thread! Put on my personalized Magic Potion disc and fucking rocked out in my car!. Awhile back threw in If You Ever Slip, and The Way I Feel When Im With You with the rest of MP. Goes together real nice!

Posted 2 years ago #

misa

drunken admirer

misa

It's the album that really made me a fan and inspired me to delve deeper into their discography and follow their careers. Hairy Dan, thick fuzz, droning riffs...I think it's their venture into hard rock after having moved on from the blues but before their soul/funk and classic rock forays. Mirby, I'm with you in thinking there was some heavy usage of the green stuff during that period.

Posted 2 years ago #

thatswhatshesaidshesaid

drunken admirer

User has not uploaded an avatar

Odd, Magic Potion is definitely the album I listen to the least. The thing is, I SHOULD love it. The simplicity. The riffs. The grit. I usually eat that shit up. But for some reason when I listen to that album it just doesn't do it for me. No idea why. Not saying any of you guys are wrong, of course, or that it's a bad album or anything like that. I should go back and give it a few listens after not listening to it for awhile.

But you know, when the ammegedon comes, and thy pile up the bodies...I will be in the cool pile and many of you will be in the "suck" pile. That's it.
Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.