• Started 4 years ago by 10am.automatic
  • Latest reply from dusty reeds

Tags:

No tags yet.

10am.automatic

not diehard enough

User has not uploaded an avatar

Billboard.com

The Black Keys are a duo no longer, at least when it comes to the band's fiery live performances. The band debuted its new lineup as a four piece during live taping for AOL this afternoon (May 18). The group is on the road in anticipation of it's sixth album, "Brothers,"

Act nice and gentle to me
Posted 4 years ago #

marshmeli

drunken admirer

marshmeli

More like when it comes to the band's fiery live performances of songs off of Brothers

Posted 4 years ago #

Mirby 2.0

tour bus driver

MirbyGnits

Billboard knows dick.

They are STILL a duo. They are surely NOT a 4-piece, nor are they a quartet. Those other guys might be nice guys and great musicians but they didn't write any of the songs on the albums - so they are not band members. They are merely hired guns because Dan hasn't YET found a way to play 3 instruments at once while singing... YET.

"When the power of Love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
Posted 4 years ago #

kepnerb

drunken admirer

kepnerb

The article said when it comes to live performances. So they got it right. When they are performing live, they are a four piece. Doesnt matter if they don't write they songs. I'm sure in rehearsals they have helped as far as arrangements and things go.

Posted 4 years ago #

Mirby 2.0

tour bus driver

MirbyGnits

Well shit, then My Morning Jacket is a full blown orchestra.

Posted 4 years ago #

busterdouglas

drunken admirer

busterdouglas

Haha word to that.^ I think this simple and brief article is meant to be taken with a grain of salt and just mentioning that this really is the first time (except Blakroc) that they've shared the stage with extra players.

This blood red ass don't smell so good...
Posted 4 years ago #

andymac

fan

andymac

I'm not that surprised at this news.

After listening to Brothers I was actually thinking how are they going to play some these songs live?

I'm just glad I got to see them live as a 2 piece and they surely rocked more shit than most 4 pieces.

Posted 4 years ago #

dusty reeds

Black Keys Pimp

dusty reeds

I still wish the extra members were the bass player and keyboardist from Hacienda. I think that would give the songs a lot more energy. Instead the guys not just stand in the back like wallflowers. Maybe that's what Dan and Pat want, guys that won't take any attention away from them. And no, they are not a "four piece" band.

twitter @dustyreeds
Posted 4 years ago #

nappy de merde

massive fan

User has not uploaded an avatar

Who cares how many there are. This is the same discussion that kept TBK in the shadow of the White Stripes for all these years. The number of players in the band has nothing to do with the originality or quality of the music. It has more to do with the limitations of the critic talking about it. It's the music, stupid!

Posted 4 years ago #

Mirby 2.0

tour bus driver

MirbyGnits

I can only speak for myself here, but of course we're going to discuss this topic here. Our favorite band has just doubled in size (temporarily). I don't think the originality is in question, nor the quality of the music on the album. I think it's fair game to discuss this temporary doubling of size and the impact it has on their live show.

I do see your point though- no one should be bent out of shape or hung up on the fact that "it isn't just the boys anoymore". That fact, by itself, is irrelevent.

Posted 4 years ago #

dusty reeds

Black Keys Pimp

dusty reeds

nappy de merde 8 hours ago- This is the same discussion that kept TBK in the shadow of the White Stripes for all these years. How so? I understand there are four people onstage playing, and it is enjoyable to see that on those songs. I'd also like to see some female backing vocals on certain songs. Hell, put an freaking choir onstage with them, it doesn't matter. TBK are still a 2 PIECE BAND. And the only reason The Stripes are far more recognized than the Keys is the marketability of them. The ingredients: A dude who can play and sing a bit, a chick with a HUGE rack, signature red and white gear, and that's about it. They're hook is THEY'RE LOOKS. PERIOD. The Keys hook is THE MUSIC, which unfortunately isn't what is most important to much of the music buying people today. I like the White Stripes, have all their albums. Love the Keys , have all their albums. The ONLY comparison is that there are 2 PEOPLE IN EACH BAND.

p.s. I can't get enough of Ten cent pistol from the Fallon show, sick!

Posted 4 years ago #

brucini

doorman

brucini

the final word

Dan in an interview here http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/95571569.html?page=3&c=y

"You know, we've had creative control over everything we've done, since we started," he said. "If we want a couple guys along to play some shows with us onstage, I don't think it's weird at all. We're not some kind of two-piece novelty act. We're a band. Green Day is known as a three-piece but tours as a five-piece, and no one asks them about it."

Posted 4 years ago #

dusty reeds

Black Keys Pimp

dusty reeds

Dan-Green Day is known as a three-piece but tours as a five-piece, and no one asks them about it." Exactly. TOURING as a 4 piece band, they are. Yes,ummm. But i HIGHLY doubt either of the 2 guys joining them have any creative input as to what the band does.

Posted 4 years ago #

tbkmagic

roadie

tbkmagic

good find brucini. man it sucks that they couldnt get the next girl vid stopped. It reall does cheapen the value of the song.

Posted 4 years ago #

Danleary

drunken admirer

Danleary

What baffles me about Next Girl is the fact that Warner Bros allowed them to run the scrolling text banner underneath the video, yet they wouldn't allow them not to air the video all together. I mean, it's self decriminating to warner bros.

Ron Paul 2012
Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.